So hopefully next update, I can talk some more Rugby, maybe another thing or two about Barcelona, and then some things about Milk, Bathrooms, Cereal and Light switches.
Ok so let's see what we have here to talk about...
One of the things I miss the most in the US is the milk. My word. One of my first days here my host mom mentioned something about how her son likes to keep milk in the fridge, and said it in a way that made it sound abnormal. Plus the milk is super thick too, although not as bad as in Germany (sorry Julia haha). And I love milk. And I miss drinking a nice cold glass of it. Andy and I are of the same opinion that Skim milk is the best because it's also the coldest. Well my dear friends, the only way to drink your milk cold here would be to drink it while standing inside a freezer. But I usually pour some milk onto my cereal, but then I dump the milk out, because it just hurts my stomach after if I drink it all. So the only real complaint about the food I have here is without a question, la leche.
Next thing on the list is bathrooms. Here, if you go into a public bathroom, all the stalls are like little rooms. They are totally surrounded and closed in. Pretty nice.
However, while I'm all for saving the environment and everything, I'm kind of sick of the lights going out on me in the middle of doing my business. It's like a button you press and the lights stay on for like 2 minutes or so, and then shut off. Well let's just say that caught me by surprise the first couple of times. Plus, being that it is it's own little room it was absolutely pitch black dark. So it took me awhile to find the lightswitch needless to say.
I'll have to take a picture of the lightswitches here too. I have seen these types back in the states, but I haven't seen a single one that is like the ones I am usually used to seeing.
Can't remember what I had to say about cereal. It's pretty good I guess.
Went to another Rugby practice. Still trying to understand what it is I am supposed to do, although we did practice something similar to kickoffs so that I knew enough of. All I know is I push when they tell me too, and I tackle the guy in the other shirt. There is a game tomorrow (Thursday) at 230. However I have class till 330, but there is a chance Ill get out in time to make it. Let's hope so.
I've been to the movie theaters a couple of times recently. I went once with my buddy Harry one weekend night to see Malditos Bastardos. We showed up at like, 945 for a 1015 showing of it to buy our tickets cause we heard we had to get there early to buy them, but we figured that it's been out since the beginning of september so there wouldn't be a big line. Well there wasn't too big a line, but there also weren't any tickets available. Unbelievable. Talk about procrastinating to see a movie, Spain.
So we went back again the next night, even more determined. This time we got there around 9 to buy our tickets. Well in Spanish movie theaters, they give you assigned seats. Pretty good idea I guess. Doesn't make for that awkward 'there aren't many seats but i don't really wanna sit right next to that guy' moment. You sit where they tell you to sit bygolly!
It was in Version Original, so it wasn't dubbed and they talked in English, and it was subtitled in Spanish. However, I forgot how much of the movie was spoken in German and French. So Harry and I were reading a lot of subtitulos. Not really a big deal, but it doesn't do the movie justice the way it was translated into Spanish. Some of the things said in English that I read in Spanish just weren't the same, something was lost in translation there.
It's nice now I can watch a movie in Spanish, as long as there are subtitles, and I can understand just about all of it. However, the next challenge would be to watch a movie in Spanish without subtitles and see how I do.
GUESS WHAT? Got an e-mail from our prof. and said he was gonna take us to the cinema for his cine class to watch Celda 211. It was a prison/drama/action movie. Pretty good. Real hard to understand though, they used a lot of slang stuff and one of the main character's voices was impossible to understand. Smoked one too many cigarettes. I understood a lot of it....but not quite all of it. Still a bit confused about parts. But we'll figure that out tomorrow.
Anyway...Life is going well. Hope America is safe without me for awhile. Take good care of it, and go enjoy a nice glass of cold milk and a PB Sandwich for me (Jelly optional). I go have a nice Bocadillo de tortilla with some nice Madrid water for all of you tomorrow.
Hasta Luego!!!
p.s. any questions you have about Spain, send me an email and ill write about it in my next blog post.
p.p.s. I'm going to Morocco this weekend. Hope I survive.
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment