Thursday, October 22, 2009

Bullfighting and Rugby

Ok errybody here we go now....

So, as I mentioned in a previous blog post, I've been invited to play rugby, I've been to a bullfight, and I endured midterms.

Now let's start with Rugby. One of my buddies from the bar we always go to, Ocean, talks about Rugby a lot. He's also a big Buffalo Bills fan. But I digress. He pretty much just came up all excited one night and asked me if I wanted to play Rugby for him. He said he has a team and to show up some Tuesday and we'll play. I couldn't play this week because of Midterms, but I'm gonna go this week hopefully and try to learn. So that's the Rugby story for right now.

BULLFIGHT. I went to a bullfight....and it was awesome. I really like them. Although many Madrilenos don't like them. It's understandable, kind of like a stereotype thing. But anyway, I went to one where they used smaller balls and new matadors. But it was sweet, saw 5 bulls die. One of the guys couldn't complete the final round, which was to Kill the bull as quickly and painlessly as possible. He got pretty much booed out of the place. It wasn't a very high quality bullfight (not that I would know - I could just tell listening to people talk and the fact I knew they were NOOBS) But one dude was really cool. He killed the bull right away both times. Very nice.

The other things I love are some phrases here.....por ejemplo.....TIO (uncle) means dude. I absolutely love that. Also Vale (Bah-lay) means Ok pretty much......Me da igual means it's all the same to me, I just like the way that one sounds. and Claro (Clah-row) which means of course. And the always epic "Tranqui" (short for tranquilo) which you say to someone like, chill man calm down. So I'll probably be using a lot of those terms for a long time, so get used ot it now. In fact, start using them so that way you won't be so annoyed by me. Then of course I've learned all the slang too, but there might be young folks out there reading this, so I don't want to give them any ammunition. But let's just say.....I'm learning it all hahaha. The kind of things they tend to neglect in grammar classes.

I also took my midterms, and I'm pretty confident in 3/4 of them. One of them I had no idea what was gonna be on the test, so I went in pretty unprepared like everyone else, but I guess she graded real easy and everyone got above an 80, so thats good news for me!

Annnnnnnnnnnd tomorrow I'm going to Barcelona on a class trip. It's a 7 hour bus ride (lame) so I'm gonna go and pasar la noche en blanco (stay up all night) so I can sleep on the bus ride. So I'll let you all know how that goes...hopefully I survive.

Alright folks, hope everything is going swell back in the states. But I'm gonna descansar un poquito and then hit up the Madrid nightlife for a while.

Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment